Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Bountiful

Not long ago we made a day trip to Roseville California to go to Denio's Farmers Market.  It was a sunny day, warm but not the desperate muggy heat that feels solid.  It was a fun day, and parts of the market reminded me of markets like il mercato di porta palazzo in Turin Italy. Other than English not being the predominant language spoken, some of the similarities of the two markets were the cheap clothing made in foreign countries and sold there, as well as the bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables.  Denio's is huge, so I may have just missed it, but I didn't find any cured meats and aged cheeses the way you can find them in the markets in Italy.  Nevertheless it was fun seeing what there was to see.



Luca enjoyed pushing the cart until it was loaded to capacity, then he was happy to leave the hard work to us!


When we got it all home I had to take a photo... eight trays of really ripe sweet strawberries for $4.!!!  I couldn't believe it.  Yes I am one to latch onto a good bargain.  But then I had to process all those strawberries, since they were perfectly ripe.   


Luca found his own good bargain.  He paid one dollar for three second-hand toys, all the way from "Caliiiiifornia!"  See?  They're all cars.

5 comments:

  1. He looks so proud of his purchase! That's a great deal on strawberries. But am I reading the price of the small watermelons correctly? 7.99 each?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Karen, $7.99 each. Luckily we didn't need any watermelons! The vendors seemed to mirror each other's prices since different (produce) stalls were selling identical products as their neighbors in some cases... but according to the website for Denio's, I suppose I could have haggled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they're not domestic? Our little watermelons come from Spain, and when they're not on sale they cost quite a bit more than the big ones. Though not quite that much! I am so envious of those butternut squash, I see them very rarely here. (I think the last time was 5 years ago!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful! Whatcha gonna do with the eggplant? I know what I would do! I love butternut too Karen. We are growing some at our place this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really know what I'm going to do with those butternut squash... last time I made up a batch of tortelloni stuffed with that squash... but that feels like too much work these days. I might make a soup instead? Hmmmmm. What would you make Karen?

    Mom, I made a Melanzane alla parmigiana with those eggplants. Mmmm good, and even Gabe liked it!

    ReplyDelete